Sunday, August 5, 2012

Patterson's AP English quiz? This will be a cakewalk!

I mean honestly, I've done these things with half my brain wandering off and thinking about video games. I can fill in bubbles and plan out a day of dungeon crawling, zombie-slaying and dragon hunting with ease; I can even finish bubbling and planning with time left to doodle ancient greek monsters on the back of the test. This is going to be great.

70%.

Wait. Something went wrong here. This is a mistake, right? I mean, I didn't skip half the questions? Maybe I bubbled them in wrong. Wait, no, I didn't use a bubble sheet, I wrote down the letters… But this is wrong! I never score so low on English tests! What's this abomination doing on my mind scape? Thank the gods that this is practice, because I'd be jumping for the nearest window.

It's not that a 70% is exactly terrible, nor is it… new, I suppose. I've gotten my fair share of bad grades. But I wasn't expecting a really challenging test from this, I'll be honest. I was expecting something easy. A cakewalk. This definitely was not. I enjoyed the reading; I loved the poem about the fading dark of dawn, the mares gliding through the sky. It read like a painting, like something I'd want to draw some day. I loved the excerpt from Pride and Prejudice, a book I've been urged to read. But I suppose my mind isn't quite in the "test" zone today. Actually, I can't remember a time in the last year I've been in the "test" zone. Is there such thing? Tests are like dry, stale toast. Uncreative, boring, and leave a bad taste in your mouth. Hopefully this class adds a dash of color… Or perhaps I'll just need to get used to nasty plain toast.

2 comments:

  1. And as I pointed out to Daphine, 64% (and thus, 70%) is actually above the national average for students scoring a 5! It's just a really hard test =) So don't worry--you're doing GREAT so far.

    ReplyDelete